11.16.2009

First Day on the Job!


I know that I have been slacking a little on the blogging (especially last week). My absence was for a very good reason though! Last week I started subbing!!! :) Not permanently, yet. I am still working at my current financial job until the end of the year. However, I was able to substitute teach on Thursday and Friday of last week! I was so nervous on my first day, not knowing what to expect and having had no real experience in the classroom! On Thursday, I subbed for a middle school 8th grade science teacher. He was very prepared and left me an easy to follow lesson plan for the day. My first class of the day was soo well-behaved, but each class after that kept getting worse and Worse and WORSE! I was having to remind them to be quiet and stay in their seats over and over again in my best teacher voice! I really surprised myself though with how good I was at having control and keeping them on task! All of these teaching phrases just kept flying out of my mouth and by the end of the day I had perfected the mad teacher stare (which works soo well I might add ;)! Haha, I guess it just came naturally to me! I have a younger brother and sister and have always been the bossy older sister, so I guess that has really prepared me for my role as a teacher! :) The whole time I just kept wishing I could video myself so that my friends and fam could see me at work! It was too funny! I even confiscated a note going around about the "hot sub" and how they wanted to get a picture of me on their camera phone. Geez!

On Friday, I subbed for another middle school science teacher at a different school and this time it was for 7th grade. I liked 7th grade a lot better than 8th, not as sassy! These kids were a lot better than my kids the previous day too and I really didn't have to get on to them very much at all. I will say this though, teaching is the most exhausting job I have ever had. I left the building each day limping to my car (I need better teaching shoes) and really feeling that I had earned every penny that I had made. Even so, it really was so much fun and both days went by so fast! I am so excited about my new career and will really be so happy once I have a classroom of my very own! Until then I am content being the hot sub for now, haha, and Mason is really enjoying all of my stories that I have to share with him about my day! Way more entertaining than the ones of me working in the corporate world! :)

4 comments:

  1. I am a substitute teacher so if you ever have any questions just ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a substitute teacher but only pre-k through 5th grade. Good luck with those middle schoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that you started subbing! I think I would like to be called the hot sub haha..8th graders are bratty. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad to hear that you started. I knew that the little middle school boys were going to think you were hot and just die when you walked in! I bet you're not used to being "Miss" either. I remember feeling so weird about that at first. It sounds like you did a great job. Kids are so unruly with subs. My class is incredible, but when they have subs, they really test the limits.

    ReplyDelete