1.12.2010

Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

Apparently not.

As it is now January and the second half of the school year is back in full swing, I have started my semester long journey as a full-time substitute. I subbed a handful of times last semester, but now the game is really on. Yesterday, I had my first taste of subbing for a high school and I really liked it! The kids are just so much more mature and I don't really have many discipline problems. I have discovered that I really enjoy working with the secondary age groups (junior high and high school) a lot. Managing them fits my sarcastic personality really well. Managing elementary kids, however, is not my cup of tea. Today was my first full day of subbing for an elementary classroom. I went to a fifth grade classroom expecting them to not be so unalike the junior high kids. WRONG.

They were loud, obnoxious, disrespectful, kept tattling on one another, not doing their work, constantly getting out of their seats, etc, etc... Oh and to make my day extra fun, Tuesdays are the only days that they dont have specials (art, music, computer class) and they stay in the classroom the whole day! Shoot me now! By the end of the first hour of class I was about ready to just toss my hands up and cry. I'm sure they don't behave this way for their normal teacher, but none of my discipline tactics were having any affect on them. Today I decided that elementary school is just not for me and I will avoid subbing at them at all costs in the future!

On another note, getting back into a normal working schedule is throwing me for quite the loop. I am always tired, I have no motivation to go to the gym and really just have an overall sense of depression. I hope I adapt to being on this schedule, because right now I am pretty much miserable. Okay enough with all the doom and gloom... I need to just suck it up right? I'll tell you this though, I have never longed for the weekend so much before in my life! Come on Friday!!

8 comments:

  1. oh no sweetie! you sound so overworked! you need some rest! feel better soon! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5th grade is a weird age I think! Hang is there, I'm sure it will get better soon. Plus it's great you are getting to "try out" lots of different grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel! I've been long term subbing in a first grade class since November and they are a handful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Caroline! I am so sorry. Really, its going to be ok. its just a transitional period and it needs to become more routine and habit ;) its almost the weekend ;) almost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah... I might have to rethink putting my name in as a sub for elementary-aged children then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh hun :(
    i'm sorry you are feeling this way.
    i hope things change and you get out of your funk soon.
    hope you are having a better day today pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there. Little ones can be uber challenging. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain! I just finished student teaching in elementary school and it was exhausting!

    :)

    ReplyDelete